Personal Injury Attorneys in Austin, TX
If you have been injured due to an accident or incident in which you believe someone else was at fault, you have the right to seek compensation. A personal injury attorney at the Kelly Legal Group Law Firm can help determine if you have a case to pursue compensation for your injuries and other damages, including medical bills, loss of wages, property damage, pain and suffering, etc.
When it comes to a personal injury lawsuit in Austin, TX, you want to act quickly and it is imperative that you hire a lawyer immediately. An experienced personal injury attorney will work diligently to assemble the evidence and develop the strategy needed to win your case.
The attorneys at Kelly Legal Group have many years of experience representing personal injury clients and recuperating compensation from those responsible for their damages. We understand that it is difficult to know what steps to take after being involved in an accident caused by another person’s negligence. Injured people should not be left with a mountain of debt and no way out.
Our experienced Austin personal injury lawyers will ensure you get all the money you deserve to pay for treatment, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and any other expenses related to the accident.
Call us at (512) 505-0053 or contact us online to book an appointment for a free consultation about your case.
What Is Personal Injury?
A personal injury is any type of physical or mental harm resulting from negligent behavior. The causes could include auto accidents, slips & falls, trucking accidents, defective products, construction site accidents, medical malpractice, and more. When one party causes an injury to the other through negligent behavior, the victim has the right to pursue legal action against the responsible party for compensation.
There are millions of Americans who have suffered at least one kind of personal injury due to someone else’s negligence. Victims of these types of accidents may need to undergo extensive medical procedures to treat their serious injuries. They might also miss work and lose wages, miss out on future wages, incur property damage, and suffer from mental or emotional stress. It is important to bring the full extent of damages to the court’s attention so that the defendant can compensate the injured party.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
There are a variety of situations that can result in personal injury lawsuits:
- Car Accidents. When you are injured in a car accident and the other party is at fault, you can pursue legal action to get monetary compensation. With car accident cases, insurance companies are usually responsible for paying damages. Insurance companies want to pay as little as possible toward personal injury claims, which is why it often requires an attorney to get adequate and deserved compensation.
- Trucking Accidents. Tractor trailers are large, heavy vehicles that can do a lot of damage in an accident. Injuries are often more severe in truck accidents than in car accidents between two personal vehicles. If you or a family member has been injured in a trucking accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can help you and your family get the compensation that is deserved to cover medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and any other hardships you have endured as a result of the injury.
- Motorcycle Accidents. Motorcycle riders are at an increased risk of injury in an accident because their vehicle offers no protection from bodily harm. Wearing a helmet and protective clothing is the rider’s only defense. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident due to a negligent or careless driver, an attorney can help.
- Bicycle Accidents. Similar to motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents are more severe for the rider because they have very little bodily protection. Bicycle riders have a right to ride on certain roads as long as they follow the laws. The driver may be at fault if a rider is injured by a vehicle. Our personal injury law firm can provide legal advice in this case.
- Dog Bites. In most cases of dog bites, the dog’s owner is responsible for damages. Each individual situation is different, which is why it is best to seek an attorney to help you determine the best course of action.
- Slip and Fall. If you are injured due to a fall on someone else’s property, you have the right to seek compensation. The owner of the property is typically held responsible in these cases, but it all depends on the circumstances surrounding the individual situation. An attorney can help interpret the law in your situation and determine how to handle the case.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries. Sometimes a severe accident results in a traumatic brain injury. In many cases the injured person may never regain the brain function they had before the injury. Their entire life is now changed, as well as the lives of their family members. An Austin personal injury lawyer can help the family get the compensation that is deserved to take care of medical bills as well as future care expenses.
Facts About Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Lawsuits in Texas:
- In Texas, as in all states, there is a statute of limitations for personal injury cases. For Texas a person has two years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit pursuant to Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code, Title 2 section 16.003.
- It is not uncommon for the person or business that you are filing a claim against to fight back, claiming that you are actually to blame for the incident. In some cases the fault may be shared between the parties involved.
- Texas follows a “modified comparative negligence rule” for fault shared cases. The rule means that the compensation you receive will be reduced by an amount equal to your fault percentage. You will recover nothing from the other party if you are more than 50% at fault.
- Some states place limits on the types of damages that an injured person can receive after a successful personal injury trial. The important aspect to remember for Texas is the statutory limitations on damages only apply to medical malpractice cases.
- In most medical malpractice cases, non-economic damages are limited to $250,000 per defendant, and $500,000 overall. For medical malpractice cases involving wrongful death in Texas, there is a cap that is indexed for inflation and the cap starts out at close to $1.5 million.
When to Call Austin Personal Injury Attorneys
If you or a family member has been injured in an accident, the sooner you call an attorney the better. You only have two years to file a lawsuit following an accident, and while that may seem like plenty of time, it can pass quickly. It’s best to get the facts documented when the events are fresh in your mind and in the minds of any witnesses.
It is your right to seek financial compensation for the hardship you or a loved one have experienced. Our board-certified personal injury trial law specialist will work with your insurance company and ensure you have every chance possible to win this battle. If you would like our assistance, please get in touch with Kelly Legal Group in Austin, TX today to schedule a free consultation by calling (512) 505-0053 or filling out our online form.